Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Shopping in Paris: Marche aux Puces Porte de Vanves


On my last Saturday in Paris, I decided to return to the Porte de Vanves flea market. Smaller and, for the most part, more affordable than the sprawling markets at Cligancourt, I discovered this market last October.

Despite it being the day after Christmas, a lot of vendors have turned out. As usual, the merchandise runs the gamut from junk to haute. I eyeball the gorgeous light fixtures and furniture, but I'm just dreaming. Even if I could afford them, I can't handle the shipping. I consider a scarf that shows a map of Croatia in French. I walk away to think about it for a moment. When I pass by to take a second look, it's gone. That's how it goes at flea markets. The print seller who sold 3-euro antique prints, maps and book engravings last fall isn't around today. I pick up a silver whatnot container with a hand-painted mother of pearl lid from the 5 euro table and a handful of keys for my chatelaine chain for 2 euros each.

By noon everyone is packing up, and I catch the metro back to city center in search of a inexpensive lunch to go with my cheap finds.

1 comment:

  1. I love your style of writing so far! This is the first post I read, thanks for providing the link to your interesting blog. I plan to read it all as I prepare for my trip to Paris in September! So nice to meet you, Cathy!

    Bye, y'all - for now!

    ReplyDelete